And, Blu- Tack wins!
As there is another use discovered for an amazing substance made out of sticky fairy dust.
Well, the story starts many months ago.
I have purchased 21 UX Cintiq sometime in May 2009 as I grew quite fond of the one I had at work, before the company I was working for folded up.
From the moment of purchase, bloody thing did not feel right.
It was impossible to calibrate as the on-screen tip had a tendency to wander away from the tip of the pen (just far enough to piss you off, or make you delete layer instead of duplicating it and save your fucked up shrunk and collapsed file instead of "saving it as" etc)
It was happening anywhere except on the dead center of the screen.
So that prompted me to use the tablet only at the dead center of the screen which eventually started getting scratched and worn out to the point where it was screeching, grinding and bumping and the screen was getting murky.
I started to hate fucking Wacom and if it was a person, I would have punched him in the face.
(On another side if it was a female person, I would definitely not dare to punch her as I have fear of women and their potential for retaliation )
Add to the mix a fact that fucking screen runs on it's own contrast settings which I to this day could not figure out how to adjust.
So you work hard on your piece of crap art, making it look good and sweet (within your mediocre skill set), only to have your art look like washed out piece of crap on any other monitor but your own Cintiq.
That said, Cintiq was still pretty good and I was too busy to part with it so I put up with all the crap, because it was saving me a lot of time and I was really, really busy.
However I reached the point where i could not stand it any more.
My warranty is out, and fucking thing was close to useless.
So, one night, a few days ago, I started pecking on my Cintiq screen and found out that I can get a reasonably thin layer of film made out of stinky acrylic crap loose on one corner.
I started peeling the fucker off and after some 20 minutes of struggle and wrestling with flaky substance, and a lot of horrible stench coming out I managed to get it off the neat sheet of glass sitting underneath.
Glass was scratch free, neat and clear, a bit more reflective, but I live in the dark anyhow, so there is nothing to reflect off the screen.
Pen slides over it more loosely than it did on that acrylic film, but I do not care, actually I prefer that feel, because that is how my good old Cintiq felt.
However, after removal of the Film, there were huge patches of glue that remained stuck to the screen.
I tried everything to take them off (also trying to be gentle not to damage the glass) but nothing worked.
I did not want to use any nasty chemicals nor did I have any, so the only tool that I found working were tips of my fingers.
That seemed to take the shitty glue off, but firstly, it was taking forever and secondly, the weak, D-vitamin depraved, skin on my digits was wearing off at the same rate as did the glue, and since there was more glue on the screen than skin on my fingers, I was at risk of running out of the skin faster than getting rid of the glue.
That is when my wife, and also my hero came to the rescue.
She was tidying up the room while I was all manly and ripping my equipment apart, calling me an idiot for ruining a 3000 dollar tool and laughing at my impotent rage but when she realized I am not giving up, and am willing to sacrifice myself to get the job done, she decided to help.
Out of one of old boxes, she pulled a packet of Blu- Tac, made a big blob and started rubbing the screen with it while I was resting my fingers.
To my amazement glue started coming off neatly and in no time the screen was clean and free.
And ready to be used.
So, there is nothing you can not do with Blu- Tac.
And it picked and digested all the crap inside itself, so by the time glue was gone, it was nowhere to be found.
Anyhow, my screen now is shiny and scratch free and I have fun working on it, just like in the good old days. Even the calibration issues are less noticeable now.
However I can not recommend this solution to others, as I am not sure if different models have different components and also there is a serious risk of breaking the glass underneath while pulling the acrylic crap off.
So, do not try that at home, and if you do and something goes wrong, do not blame me for it, I warned you and I did do mine at my own risk, in a fit of rage.
Also, I have no idea how long will the bloody thing last, now that I raped it.
(also I have no idea if I was the only one in the world having this problem due to my heavy hand and disrespect for nice technology- to me it is just a fucking tool helping to get the job done faster and once rendered useless is to be discarded and replaced, or if I can not afford another one, I would just get a cheap bamboo and go the old school)
Aand this is the story for today.
Also, here is some art.
I decided to give up on my Afrika piece, as I lost all interest and stopped coming back to it.
So I am posting bits and pieces I got done so far, but I do have another neat sketch that I am hot for now, hopefully I get to finish that one.
In this post, there are also a couple of 5 minute chicky warm up sketches and some old vessel Art style pitching pieces.
Untill the next time, cheers to all,